The SEED School of Maryland prepares students for success in college and beyond and creates a college-bound culture for all students, beginning in the sixth grade. Our college counselor ensures that students are exposed to college resources, provides individual and group guidance, and teaches seminars about the college process. During eleventh and twelfth grades, our college counselor directly supports students and their families through the college admissions process by:
- Preparing students for the ACTs/SATs,
- Assisting students with college application essays and personal portfolios, and
- Helping students to generate a college list, navigate college application requirements, and submit all documentation
As part of SEED’s college prep programming, SEED Maryland partners with The SEED Foundation’s College Transition & Success (CTS) Program to offer financial education and college transition programming. Juniors and their families participate in financial literacy workshops focused on saving, banking, credit, financing a college education, and the SEED Foundation Scholarship. Senior year, the focus is on college costs, financial aid, and completing all financial aid applications including the FAFSA. Seniors also enroll in a college transition course focused on selecting the right fit college, the steps to college enrollment, and acclimating to college life.
In addition to college counseling, SEED Maryland fosters a college-bound culture by offering:
- College visits. Each year students visit at least one college or university with their class. When the students are juniors, they take a “college tour,” at which time students will travel to visit eight to ten different types of schools, including large state universities, small liberal arts colleges, historically Black colleges and universities, schools in city-centers and schools in rural communities to help them make their final college decision.
- College Transition & Success (CTS) Program. Once a student graduates from SEED, our relationship with that graduate continues. The SEED Foundation's CTS Program provides additional support through the college years to help ensure that The SEED School of Maryland graduates become college graduates. CTS offers a variety of services, including financial aid advising, career advising, outreach to universities, and leadership development. You can read more about CTS services on their website or in this electronic brochure.
- Naviance College and Career Platform. Naviance is a college and career readiness platform that helps connect academic achievement to postsecondary goals. This comprehensive college and career planning platform optimizes student success and enhances collaboration between students and families, and counselors and schools.